What is Gastroparesis?

Gastroparesis is also known as "delayed stomach emptying". It is where the stomach doesnt work to digest the foods you eat as quickly as they are supposed to, or at all.
Symptoms include feeling fullness after eating little, nausea, vomiting, etc.
It effects over 5 million people in america, yet very little is known about it. There is no cure, and it is a chronic illness.
Imagine the feeling of eating thanksgiving dinner times 5, then vomiting 10 times worse than your worst stomach flu, followed by extreme fatigue for days.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

effects on my family

I'm not the only one suffering because of Gastroparesis.  My family suffers greatly too.  I am a stay at home mom.  Before I was sick I baked something atleast once a week, made dinner almost every night, and managed to keep the house tolerably clean.  I was able to do anything and everything I could for my daughter, and give her what she needed.

Now, everytime I stand I get dizzy.  I have no energy, and if I push myself too much my body wears down, I get really tired, and I start to get sick.  I start shivering (even in 90+ F degree weather) and feeling nauseas, and the only thing that makes me feel better is to take a phenergan, wrap up in some blankets, and sleep.

Lately I can do less and less.  I tried to make cinnamon rolls for my family.  It should be fairly simple and not take too much effort.  Throw the ingredients in bread maker and wait.  Roll dough out, spread filling, roll up, cut up, and put in pan and wait to rise.  Throw in oven and bake.
After rolling the dough out, I felt so sick and nauseas I couldnt even enjoy the smell of the cinnamon rolls baking.

This happens with other things too.  Going to Mt. Spokane on labor day to walk around and enjoy the view (I even tried to take it easy but still felt sick).  Making a simple meal like lasagna.  Meeting friends at the park to let my daughter play.  All of these have caused me to feel sick.

I cant do things for my daughter that she wants me to do.  When she is hungry she knows she needs to feed herself, she is only 3 and already taking care of herself.  She ends up bringing me all the ingredients for the food, so I can sit and make it for her without getting up and getting sick.  Lately when she is hungry and doesnt want to get the stuff because it is too high or too heavy, she makes the excuse "my tummy hurts".   She gets that from me.  I tell her sometimes I cant do something for her right then because I'm too sick.
She also offers to bring me a garbage can everytime I look sick, and is constantly bringing me gatorade.

I never wanted my daughter to have to grow up like this, taking care of me and herself. I just want my life to go back to normal.

But it never will.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goddess, this made me cry! It makes me realize how many things I take for granted every day.

    ReplyDelete