What is Gastroparesis?

Gastroparesis is also known as "delayed stomach emptying". It is where the stomach doesnt work to digest the foods you eat as quickly as they are supposed to, or at all.
Symptoms include feeling fullness after eating little, nausea, vomiting, etc.
It effects over 5 million people in america, yet very little is known about it. There is no cure, and it is a chronic illness.
Imagine the feeling of eating thanksgiving dinner times 5, then vomiting 10 times worse than your worst stomach flu, followed by extreme fatigue for days.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Miracles

I already accepted I might die from this, but I really wasn't accepting it.  Till yesterday.  I really thought there was a chance I wasn't going to make it.

When I do too much, I end up getting a flare up.  If I push myself too much, wear my body down, it decides to stop working, and makes me feel so much worse.  It mostly happens when I go out to do activities, walking around too much, too much excitement or anxiety, not enough sleep, so many things can cause it.  With the cold weather, I have discovered if I don't bundle up well enough and get cold, that makes me sick too.  Probably because my body exerts itself trying to keep me warm.

All day Sunday, I was prepping for a colonoscopy procedure to be done Monday.  This required "cleansing" my colon.  It wasn't fun, and I could tell I was getting dehydrated, but I was feeling so nauseas drinking the medication given to me every 15 minutes, I couldn't keep anything else down.  It was hard, but I felt ok when i went to sleep Sunday night, so I figured I wasn't too dehydrated.

When I woke the next morning, I could tell I was wrong.  I could hardly get up, when I did, my heart started to race like I just ran a mile.  I felt dizzy, nauseas, and really weak.  Everytime I moved, my nausea got worse.  I asked my husband to help me get ready, including to shower.

When I got in the shower, my legs went weak, and I couldn't hold myself up, my husband had to hold me, while i tried to shampoo my hair, but when i raised my arms, they went numb and weak and then my legs gave out altogether.  I passed out, and just sat in the bottom of the shower for a while, wondering if I could even get the strength to make it to the hospital.  I finally managed to rinse my hair of the shampoo already in it, giving up on anything else, and laid down on my bed (with the help of husband getting me there).  He then called the hospital and talked to the nurse that would be helping with the procedure.  She said if I was bad enough, they would give me fluids, but to bring me in and there were no guarantees.

Husband helped dress me, my mom showed up to watch my daughter, and so we left.  Walking/being dragged out to the car, i started vomiting.  Now I knew I was really sick.  My heart was still racing, I was going numb in my arms and legs randomly, and I was dizzy, weak, and vomiting.

That's when I realized, if I didn't get fluids in me, and start feeling better soon, my heart would give out when given the anesthesia.  I was very out of it, but I made sure to text the people I'm closest to, to tell them how I felt, and what to tell others if something happened to me.  It sounds kind of dramatic now, since I'm o k, but at that time, i was really scared I wouldn't make it.

When I arrived at the hospital outpatient center (still being dragged/carried by my husband) the person to check in immediately told me to go sit down, because I looked way too sick, she even insisted I go in another room where there was a bed, but i didn't think i could walk that far.

Finally I was called back, and the nurse decided I needed fluids.  My husband stayed by my side the entire time, even though usually they are told to stay in family waiting area.  He even waited in the operating room with me till right before they put me under.  I think he sensed something could happen to me also.

When I woke up, I was really exhausted, but i felt so much better, and managed to keep some juice down, and some sandwich later.  I think they gave me plenty of fluids.  It probably saved my life.  Not to mention the priesthood blessing my husband gave me.  A Miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment